Senator No

Jesse Helms:


The Raleigh News & Observer dubbed me "Senator No." It wasn't meant as a compliment, but I certainly took it as one.
There was plenty to stand up and say "No" to during my first of five terms representing the people of North Carolina in the U.S. Senate.
That was why I had sought election in 1972 -- to try to derail the freight train of liberalism that was gaining speed toward its destination of "government-run" everything, paid for with big tax bills and record debt.

...

By some twist of logic, the big newspapers decided that the way to be "progressive" was to toss aside the underpinnings of our society. Anyone who thought differently was dismissed as "out of touch."
I've been called a "troglodyte" on more than one occasion when I angered some writer or some group who wanted me to get out of their way and let them proceed with their unrestrained liberal agenda.
In my first Senate campaign, the press took a look and decided the slogan "He's One of Us" was some sort of attack on the nationality of my opponent's parents. As it turned out, the bad press back home -- where I also worked as a sportswriter and city editor as a young man -- was just the beginning of the fire I was to draw.
A gentleman I knew back in Wingate, N.C., often said it wasn't a good idea to get in an argument with folks who bought ink by the barrel and paper by the ton, and I agreed with that.
I decided not to waste my time debating my critics. Over the years, I saved the U.S. Treasury a lot of money on press secretaries, until I eventually had to have one to deal with the deluge of media requests.
My staff wasn't always as thick-skinned as I was. One new aide was all set to fire off a response to a highly critical editorial. I had to tell him, "Son, just so you understand: I don't care what the New York Times says about me. And nobody I care about cares what the New York Times says about me."

...
He has not changed his attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains